Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rowing forever and ever and ever...

I love the rowing machine. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it's because I feel as though I'm using my whole body to row.

Saturdays are (according to my shiny training schedule) cross days, so... erg it was this morning (last week I swam, but the local pool is small enough - three lanes - that just a few people too many and it's impossible to get a rhythm going). The erg is the only cardio machine for which I can't read while working out (bikes & books, treadmills/ellipticals & magazines), but... it doesn't matter. I've stopped bringing an ipod to the gym - largely because I don't run with one anymore - so rowing is time to either think or zone out.

I play games with the clock on the machine: At least three minutes have to pass before I look again. Let's see if I can get to x metres in the next 30 seconds. At y time, I'm going to sprint for a minute. They're kind of like the games that I play with food, actually, except (I hope) it's less destructive when it's just rowing.

Anyway. My parents are coming up to visit next week, so I told my mother to pack her running clothing: she has never used a rowing machine, which I think is TRAGIC. We are going to remedy this situation (and, yeah, probably go running, too).

The thing about the rowing machine is that I really do feel as though I could just keep going and going. I mean, with running - even when I enjoy it - I know that I'm going to hit a brick wall and it'll be freaking hard to push past it. The wall with the rowing machine is more like cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment